Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Croque Monsieur

Croque Monsieur - Bonnie Ruth's Cafe Trottoir et Patisserie
Croque Monsieur - la Madeleine Country French Cafe

Croque Monsieur has become my new favorite this season! It is a warm toasted ham and gruyere (sometimes swiss) cheese sandwich with an overlay of creamy bechamel sauce. It is usually so dense that it must be eating with a fork! As I am writing, I can almost taste it, and I'm tempted to run to the store to try making it at home tonight! I first had Croque Monsieur at Bonnie Ruth's in Texas. Along with the sandwich I had French onion soup which was delicious!  There were so many tasty things on the menu I wanted to try!  Yesterday, I had lunch at La Madeleine and I usually order the Chicken Madeleine but decided to try out the Croque Monsieur. It is usually served at la Madeliene on wheatberry bread but I asked if I could have a croissant instead.  It was delicious as well!  La Madeleine's version did not have as much sauce as Bonnie Ruth's, so I did in fact like Bonnie Ruth's better.

Here is an easy recipe to make a Croque Monsieur with Bechamel sauce ...by Elise Bauer from Simple Recipes.  I just might have to make it tonight! Delish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment